New Map Progress w/ Screenshots  

Hi Everyone!

Nick here with a little update about v0.26 progress and in particular, the new map. Over the last couple weeks I've been finishing up the new map editing tools I've created to make map creation as effective as possible, and thus I've also been able to finally make real progress developing the new map that will be used in the prototype for the foreseeable future.

For those interested, some of these new tools include:

• A road system where I can click-and-drag various types of roads -- from small alleyways to major expressways -- onto the map (similar to a city builder game) and have things like stop signs, traffic lights, lane markings, crosswalks, fire hydrants, street lights, etc., automatically populate when and where they should. The biggest challenge was getting intersections to work properly. Having multiple roads of differing widths and any possible angle converge, and getting the roads, curbs, sidewalks, and everything else line up perfectly required a non-trivial amount of trigonometry =)
  • A new system for plopping down buildings and realistically randomizing them so that every structure looks unique. Even in a sprawling suburb with hundreds of houses, each one will look a bit different from its neighbour on account of its shape, its materials, its colours, the arrangement of plants, flowers, props, and windows, the presence and location of porches and garages, the dirt on the roof, and so on...
  • A new system for creating realistic fences, whether low wooden fences around a farm plot, or tall wooden fences around the backyards in a suburb.
  • New optimizations that have increased the number of structures, roads, props, etc., that can appear on the map, before performance problems occur, by a factor of 1,000 or more.

For now these map editing tools are internal only -- they only work within my development environment -- but in the back of my head I do have the hope that one day they could be extended in such a way that players could use them to build their own maps. One day =)

Here are a few new screenshots of the current work in progress, showing part of the residential section of the city, and I hope to have a few more soon as I work my way through the commercial and industrial sections of the new city as well:

As always, thanks for your patience and please don't hesitate to share any feedback you might have!

Hope you're healthy and happy.

All the best,

Nick

ReplyQuote
Posted: 30/07/2020 12:36 pm. Elaine_M, Remss, nicolaifh and 4 people liked.

looks really amazing! cant wait until we actually get to play V0.26! keep up the good work!

ReplyQuote
Posted: 31/07/2020 2:43 pm. nicolaifh and Loopy liked.

This will be an amazing update! Can't wait for it  😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted: 01/08/2020 5:35 am.

I can say this was worth the wait.
Can't wait to sent a S.W.A.T team to one of the houses for a demestic.
"D-40 and D-50 respond to XXX on XXXX-street, the husbend have takken his wife and two children hostage beawere that the husbend is armed with a semi-automatik rifle and have opened fire on first responders and a 10-999. Respond with a code 3"

ReplyQuote
Posted: 01/08/2020 7:39 pm.

Any chance that we can get custom officer's and building's kinda want to make a rainbow six siege action scene

ReplyQuote
Posted: 01/08/2020 7:42 pm. Osaavedra liked.

Keep up the good work.

ReplyQuote
Posted: 03/08/2020 5:29 am.

Wauw!  👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted: 03/08/2020 7:38 am.

Really looking forward to playing V0.26! Keep it up.

ReplyQuote
Posted: 03/08/2020 11:39 am.
Chat on Discord