Announcement Regarding v0.28 Release  

Hi Friends!

While testing a preliminary version of the upcoming release I discovered a game-breaking issue in the AI system. Frustratingly, this was the exact same issue that caused the delay last week, when I spent 2 days trying to diagnose that issue, and, after failing to find the exact source, spent 3 days rebuilding a core system in an attempt to eliminate the problem with brute force. I had thought I was successful. I was wrong. And so this week, it will cause a delay once more.

Development over the past year has been a long series of challenges and, occasionally, setbacks. What started as a "simple" effort to build a new map and refresh the UI turned into a complete rebuild of the game from the ground up, redesigning many of the game's mechanics and overhauling most of its core systems.

Over the past year I have learned *a lot* and have made major improvements to how the game is built. Many of these improvements were architectural and invisible (but nevertheless extremely necessary) while others, especially those concerning the UI, will be more obvious. But while I know that I've done my best and that an immense amount of work has gone into the game during this time, I would still, as a fan, feel frustrated. Frustrated with the pace of releases, frustrated that many of these promised improvements aren't playable yet, and frustrated that some of our past releases removed almost as many features as they added. Some of those features are still, almost a year later, yet to be restored.

There is little I can say to ameliorate that frustration but to promise you that I will continue to give my all to Keep the Peace, will continue to listen to your concerns and feedback, and will endeavour to be as transparent as possible along the way.

It is only with your support that we have been able to make it this far, and I hope you know how immensely grateful I am. I will continue working as hard as possible to deliver on the promise that KTP holds, and I very certainly remain confident we can make it into a great game, even if we encounter some setbacks along the way.

Regarding v0.28, I'm holding off on announcing a new release date for the moment because (a) I'm out of the office for the next few days during which development will need to pause and (b) the major issue I described above has shown itself to be unpredictable. I might ultimately fix it in a day, or it could take 2 weeks. I just don't know at this point. Such is the joy of software development.

What I can promise is that I will keep you frequently updated. Once I'm back in the office later next week I will begin posting updates to our Discord channel every few days outlining my progress and sharing any estimates/predictions I may be ready to make.

Thank you for your remarkable patience and support. I look forward to being able to share some good news soon.

Nick

ReplyQuote
Posted: 16/07/2021 1:09 pm. WorthlessCynomys, yoyodud67111, [email protected] and 6 people liked.

Great to see this still being worked on!

ReplyQuote
Posted: 06/08/2021 11:50 pm. dpogary liked.

Yes, keep the peace! Go on progress 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted: 05/09/2021 4:00 am.

yeah nice to hear

ReplyQuote
Posted: 07/09/2021 2:39 am.
Chat on Discord